For many people, nothing beats lounging in the backyard on the Fourth of July with good friends and family including the four-legged members of the household. While it may seem like a great idea to reward Rover with scraps from the grill and bring him along to watch fireworks, in reality some festive foods and products can be potentially hazardous to your pets.
The Wisconsin Humane Society and ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center offers the following tips:
- Never leave alcoholic drinks unattended where pets can reach them.
- Do not apply sunscreen or insect repellent to your pets that is not labeled specifically for animals.
- Keep your pet’s diet normal. Any change even for one meal can cause indigestion and diarrhea.
- Do not put glow jewelry on your pets or allow them to play with it.
- Never use fireworks around pets!
- Loud, crowded fireworks displays are no fun for pets, so please resist the urge to take them to Independence Day festivities.
For more pet safety tips, visit wihumane.org!