Ephraim, Wis. (December 15, 2021) – Ephraimites coasting by the intersection of Hwy Q and Moravia Street have witnessed impressive improvements to the exterior of Bethany Lutheran Church. Church council members were hoping that if the building’s 1950-era siding was removed, original 1882 lumber would be revealed. That is exactly what happened.
Bethany hired Asbestos Removal, Inc (Green Bay) to remove the 70-year-old planks. Beneath was original “clear” cedar siding, free of knots and fashioned from old growth forest harvested during Wisconsin’s logging era (many historians consider 1880 the peak of Wisconsin’s logging era). ES Olsson Construction (Baileys Harbor) power-washed the building, then made minor repairs to the belfry and roof. The 1882 siding soaked up two coats of primer and one coat of finishing paint. This spring, painting of the west side of the church will finish off the project. Generous donations from Bethany Lutheran Church members and friends enabled the success of the project.
Many thanks to Bethany Lutheran Church Council Member Randy Nelson for sharing renovation information and reviewing this article.