Egg Harbor, Wis. (June 5, 2022) – Birch Creek Music Performance Center is excited to present the 2022 season of summer Jazz Ambassador concerts. The Birch Creek Jazz Ambassadors, a jazz combo comprised of advanced students, are scheduled to perform concerts at various venues throughout Door County, from mid-July through mid-August.
The Ambassadors are selected from Birch Creek’s jazz students based on an audition process that takes place at the beginning of each jazz session. They serve as Birch Creek’s community outreach and perform a rigorous concert schedule, sometimes playing gigs more than once a day, which allows students to gain experience as traveling musicians. The Ambassadors in the Jazz I session are directed by Birch Creek faculty member Katie Ernst, a bassist and jazz vocalist from Naperville, IL. Marty Robinson, trumpet, from Oshkosh, WI directs the Jazz II Ambassadors.
“The Birch Creek Jazz Ambassadors teach real-life, professional skills to these amazing young musicians. While learning the important musical elements of improvisation, chord progressions, and developing their individual technique, the students also develop skills in communicating with their audiences, stage presence, creating a set-list, running a sound board, even learning how to load the band’s van efficiently – all elements that are vital for professional musicians,” said Robinson.
The Ambassador combos will hold performances at a variety of venues, from area parks to farmers markets and local businesses, including the following:
- Stone’s Throw Winery | July 22 & 29, August 5 & 12, 2-4 PM
- Immanuel Lutheran Church | August 3, 10-10:30 AM
- MacReady Artisan Bread | July 21 & August 11, Noon-1 PM
- Egg Harbor’s Harbor View Park | July 21 & 28, 5-7 PM
- Horseshoe Bay Farm | July 26, 2-3 PM
- Wisconsin Cheese Masters | August 8, 1:30-3:30 PM
- Ellison Bay’s Fitzgerald Park | August 4 & 11, 4-6 PM
- Ephraim’s Harborside Park | August 1, 6-8 PM
- Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Door County | August 12, 6:30-8 PM
- Fish Creek’s Noble House Park | July 19 & August 2, 4-6 PM
- Northern Sky’s Gould Theater | July 20 & August 5, 6-7 PM
- Jacksonport Farmers Market | July 26 & August 9, 10-11:30 AM
- Sister Bay Pavilion | July 27 & August 10, 2:30-4:30 PM
- Sturgeon Bay Aging & Disability Resource Center | July 20, Noon-1 PM
- Sturgeon Bay Farmers Market | July 23, 9-11 AM
- Door 44 Winery | July 23 & August 6, 3-5
- The Hitching Post | July 28, Noon-2 PM
- Simon Creek Winery | August 3, 2:30-4:30
Visit BirchCreek.org/Tickets/Outreach-Concerts for the full Ambassadors schedule.
Jazz concerts at Birch Creek will be held Wednesday through Saturday every week from July 20 to August 13. Tickets may be ordered online at BirchCreek.org/Tickets. Birch Creek Music Performance Center celebrates its 47th year as Door County’s Residential Summer Music Academy in Egg Harbor, WI, for advanced young musicians. With a performance emphasis, students are taught by nationally known performers and educators during the day and perform alongside them in concerts at night. Four sessions focus on Percussion & Steel Band, Symphony, and Big Band Jazz.