The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources encourages all ATV/UTV to ride sober, slow down, and to wear a helmet. Here are a few more safety tips to keep in mind when operating your off-highway vehicles during winter:
- Never consume alcohol or drugs before or during your ride.
- Always wear a DOT-approved helmet.
- Always wear a seatbelt in a UTV.
- Remember, no ice is 100% safe. Warmer than usual winter temperatures have created hazardous ice conditions, and extra caution is necessary.
- Do not travel in unfamiliar areas.
- Let someone not riding with you know where you are going and when you will return.
- Follow all posted speed limits and regulatory signs.
- Dress for the weather and carry additional safety gear such as a life jacket, ice picks and dry clothes when operating on the ice.
- Double-check before operating on trails. Many trails open to ATVs/UTVS are closed during winter in anticipation of snowmobile season.