The Door County Historical Society will host its Saturday afternoon yesteryear program “History of Soda Bottlers in Door County,” presented by Stephen Pleck Johnson, on Saturday, September 21 at 1:00pm in the Vignes School at the Heritage Village at Big Creek in Sturgeon Bay.
Stephen will share the history of soda bottlers in Door County, including locations, bottlers, transitions, types of soda, advertisements, examples of bottles, crates, and paraphernalia. Stephen will especially focus on the involvement of his grandfather, Frank Pleck, in the soda industry. The presentation will primarily focus on soda operations prior to 1920.
A life member of the Door County Historical Society, Stephen is a practicing attorney in Sturgeon Bay and graduated with a Natural Science teaching degree from UW-Madison and then from UW-Law School. His father was also a lawyer and gave many presentations for Door County Historical Society dinner meetings.
This program will be informal; those who attend are welcomed to share their knowledge of Door County’s soda industry. Stephen may even talk about the involvement of the Green Bay Packers and Hagemeister in the soda industry.
This special yesteryear program has no admission charge but participants are encouraged to consider giving a small donation. The Heritage Village and Vignes School are located at 2041 Michigan Street, Sturgeon Bay. The Heritage Village is open for self-guided tours prior to the presentation beginning at 10:00am and after the presentation until 3:00pm; the adult admission fee is $6.50 and a donation for youth admission is appreciated. For information, contact Door County Historical Society at (920) 421-2332 or email email@example.com.
Founded in 1926, the Door County Historical Society keeps history alive for future generations through the collection, preservation and sharing of the heritage of Door County. The Society is a membership organization that operates two interpretive sites: Eagle Bluff Lighthouse in Peninsula State Park and the Heritage Village at Big Creek in Sturgeon Bay.