Recipe courtesy of Destination Door County.
• 3 Gala apples (or another variety of sweet red apple)
• 3 Granny Smith or pippin apples
• ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons real maple syrup*
• 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (or more to taste) dash of sea salt
Peel, core and chop the apples into 2-inch chunks. In a heavy, nonreactive Dutch oven or saucepan over medium heat, combine the apple chunks, maple syrup, cinnamon and lemon juice. Cover and simmer for about 12 minutes, or until the apples have softened up a bit. Uncover the pot and continue cooking, stirring occasionally to break up the larger chunks, until the apples are soft but still have some texture (5 to 10 minutes). Remove from heat and, if necessary, add more maple syrup, cinnamon or lemon juice, to taste. Serve warm or chilled; let it cool to room temperature before storing it in the fridge.