Coming when called is something dogs have to be taught how to do. The only way to get your dog to come reliably is with training. The best way to teach this is to take small steps, have patience, and be consistent!
Here are some tips to help kick start your at-home training:
- First practice “come” on a short leash in the house.
- Then work up to practicing come on a longer leash while still inside.
- Once your dog is responding reliably inside, go outside to your yard and start again on a shorter leash, working your way back to a longer leash.
- Once come is mastered in your own yard, try going somewhere there are distractions, like a park.
- Always praise your dog with pets and high value treats when they are learning a new command.
If you would like to work with a Wisconsin Humane Society behaviorist one-on-one regarding this behavior topic, please call 414-431-6173 or email email@example.com to schedule a consultation.
For more information, visit wihumane.org!