Recipe Compliments of the Hitching Post Bar & Grill.
Fall brings kids back to school (whatever that may look like this year), nights get shorter, and time just seems to run out regardless of what we’re doing! So, if you’re trying to stay on top of things and meal prep a bit, this “Pig +” recipe from our friends at the historic Hitching Post Bar & Grill, might just be what you’re looking for.
As most fabulous chefs do, they just “know” how much of what to add and seldom is it the same. This recipe is just that! So mix to your personal preferences and you’ll end up with a sandwich that everyone will love
If you’re interested in trying this out first hand, the Hitching Post is open 11:00am – 8:00pm Thursday – Sunday, for outside dining or curbside pick-up.
Mix together garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
8 lb pork shoulder, patted dry and then seared over open grill. Sear all sides to seal in the juices.
- Mix ¾ c. kosher salt and ½ c. brown sugar into 10 cups water until dissolved. Add dry rub ingredients and mix.
- Place pork shoulder into container and pour brine over top. Cover/seal and refrigerate for 12 hours or overnight with a maximum of 24 hours.
- Cook in Nesco roaster or slow cooker on low for 10-12 hours or on high for 5-6 hours.
- Pull pork with forks to shred and then add your favorite BBQ sauce and grilled onions.
- Portion pork onto pretzel roll and then top with coleslaw and fried onion rings.
- Serve with a side of Tiger Sauce (mixture of mayonnaise and horseradish).