With great weather right around the corner, the dog parks are going to get busy with local pups looking to play. Consider these tips when bringing your furry friend to the park to make it a successful and fun adventure for everyone.
- Never force a dog to engage in play at the dog park if they aren’t willing. They won’t “get used to it,” you will instead put them in a stressful situation which can lead to defensive behavior.
- Dogs can play with opposite gendered partners as long as they have been spayed or neutered.
- Leave your dog’s favorite toys at home so they don’t become possessive of them around other dogs.
- If your dog appears afraid, is playing too rough with others, or seems overly excited, remove them from the situation to help them calm down. If they return to play with the same behaviors, it’s time to head home.
- Don’t forget bags and always pick up after your pet.
For more dog park tips, visit wihumane.org!