Courtesy of Destination Sturgeon Bay.
Fun fact. October is National Chili Month—who knew! We definitely wanted to celebrate and this recipe was a fan favorite at our gymnastics meets way back when our daughter was competing.
It’s the perfect recipe to help us survive another Wisconsin winter as we’re all anticipating spending a lot more time outside AND it’s super easy.
Grab a bowl, some corn bread or tortilla chips, and enjoy!
- 2# ground chuck, ground turkey, or chuck roast*
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced and seeded (unless you like it spicier, then keep the seeds!)
- 1 28 oz. plus 1 14 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 14 oz can tomato sauce
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon
- 2 cans (or 1 if you family is not bean friendly) chili beans
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
Brown meat until cooked. Drain well. *If using chuck roast, sear 4-5 minutes per side and then cook on low in your slow cooker 7-8 hours, then shred.
Add remaining ingredients and simmer 30 minutes.